Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Rock Party

Today was mostly uneventful. The most interesting moment in school was when in Spanish, one of the boys, for no apparent reason, suddenly made a very strange and loud yelping noise, "Just to do it." We laughed, and he got lunch detention. (the noise had a particularly strong effect because we were all doing a page in our workbooks and the room was mostly quiet.

After school, we threw a Rock Party. In other words, Mom dragged me and The Small Ones outside to pick up rocks out of the spot by the windows where we're gonna put a flower bed. It was aweful. I hate working in the yard. The only redeeming quality of the "party" was the fact that we had Shania Twain blasting from the stereo in Mom's workshop.
If you live in South Carolina like me and want to feel like I did yesterday, go outside at around 4:oo pm and dig around in the dirt in the shade for about 20 minutes in a squatting position. Fill up a bucket of rocks and then stand up. The first things you'll notice are the heavy bucket you have to hold and the pain in your knees. Then step out into the sun. Unless there's a breeze, the temperature difference will be astounding. Walk across the yard and dump the rocks over the fence. Repeat this process about 6 times, then go inside, wash your hands, and knit until supper.

That's what I did, and the Wedding Afghan shows it.
It's now a healthy 16 inches long, almost double what it was yesterday.

I have a bit of a dilema. It has the potential to be a very big dilema in the next several years: whenever I knit for long(and even not-so-long) periods of time, my elbows and wrists pop and crack when I make certain motion. I can't stop doing these motions, as they are essential to the knitting process. Any advice on how to stop this? Maybe a stretch or a system of breaks? Any advice you can give would be greatly appreciated.

No comments: