Thursday, April 26, 2007

Buzzzzz...

I've been just busy as a bee lately, and I have a lot to show for it.
Last weekend, the Small Ones and I went to our dad's house, were I commenced to whipping up his birthday present. This is as far as I got, and I don't want to work on it when he's not around(for accurate size-ing purposes) so it'll be a while before I finish it.
I think I'll just do a few more rows of the zigzag, then start the decreases. There isn't room for the speckle I did on the test drive, but that's okay. I wasn't too keen on that anyway.
I'm pleased to say that the stranding is not warping the hat(tugging a tiny bit, but not warping it) because I'm knitting really loosely.

This is a circular needle holder I whipped up in about 20 minutes(size 10 1/2 needles, baby). I'll be able to appreciate it even more when I get more circular needles. I only have 5: those pictured and the one in the Wedding Afghan. Speaking of which...
It grew! I didn't measure it, but I'm about 5'4", I'm holding it with my arms slightly extended, the bottom is brushing the bottoms of my knees, so take your best guess.
Incidentally, the inside of this skein looks nothing like the outside. Is this true of most skeined yarn? I wouldn't know, as this is the most I've ever used of one skein while knitting from the outside end instead of the pull-from-center end.
Remember that blobby red thing I said was a tote bag? I wasn't lying. It grew too. I came home this afternoon and saw it and thought, 'I want this thing finished.' Notice how I didn't say 'I want to finish this.' The whole thing up to that point had been single crochet, and the monotony was wearing on my nerves. I didn't want this bag to enter the Realm of the Forgotten, so I mixed things up a bit.
I'm now doing a pattern where I do one round of double crochet, then 2 rounds of single. I love the change, and I'm psyched that the double crochet goes farther than single. I am so easily amused it's not funny.

I started a new project. This one is a blanket for my nanny's 2-year-old son. The yarn is recycled from my very first project , which didn't work out. I 'm gonna knit a bunch of these squares and sew them together. I love the fact that I can just carry around one square-in-progress at a time.
One problem is that there's lots of winding. And since I have neither a swift or a ball winder, I have to make do with my hands and the arms of my desk chair. Anybody got a spare ball winder?

1 comment:

Annie said...

Great hat! And yes, that's a provisional cast on for the Curlicue, only modification I have made (so far!). Thanks for stopping by my blog!