Saturday, January 26, 2008

A journey of a thousand miles...

...begins with a single square.
This is the start of a project that will probably take me many years. I'm going to make a blanket out of sock yarn, like the one made by Shelly, http://www.shellykang.com/. *chirp chirp* Yes, I know that sound quite crazy, thank you very much. I am fully aware of the commitment I am starting, but that's the beauty of it: I am not going to rush this, I will knit it at my leisure and infuse it with good karma and happy memories, and end up with a piece of art that will keep me warm on a cool night. It also seems fitting that the first square of this enormous endeavor should be leftover from my first pair of socks(that were actually usable, that is).

First memory: Today I got my application for Lead 2008, a developmental program for a week this summer, by invitation only, for teenage girls who display good leadership potential. I've been selected as one out of five girls in my whole class(and my school is pretty big) to go to this thing, and gosh darnit I'm going. I think it will be pretty useful, as my plan is to own and manage my own business after college(a yarn shop, since you ask). I'm really psyched.

By the way, if you have any oddments of sock yarn you are not really attached to, I'll be glad to take them off your hands. I'm going to need all the help I can get, since this is what I have as of now:
But let's not forget the ineveitable leftovers from the socks for Thing 1, in this yarn:
Socks for young girl+good yardage of Tofutsies= plenty of leftovers

And of course the leftover from my latest pair of socks, basic toe-up in Trekking XXL, colorway 186.

Another pair of toe-up Trekking socks, this time with a twist(pun intended).
These are in colorway 188, which reminded me of stormy weather the moment I saw it.
I did a 3x3 rib and moved it over one stitch every 2 rows. The effect is lovely, but I found that I really don't like having to pay that much attention to my socks. I'll stick to stockinette, thank you very much.
The first handtowel of the set, and yarn for the other two. I really like the stitching at the ends that ties all the colors together. At first I tried to do the stitching as I went, but decide it would just be easier and faster to wait until I was done and use a darning needle.

These towels are quite simple, just stockinette with a nice wide seed stitch border. They require just enough concentration to keep my brain from turning to mush.

No comments: