Saturday, May 5, 2007

Los Calcetines Son Finitos

Happy Cinco de Mayo, folks! Here are the cable sox, snuggly warm, very red, and completely finished. They were a very quick knit and put an interesting and fun (if you'll pardon the pun) twist on the basic sock recipe.
As expected, there was still a good deal of red left, so I grabbed the black yarn leftover from My First Sweater and whipped up a pair of birthday socks for my friend Amanda. I forgot to take a picture before I wrapped them, so just imagine some simple socks in red and black stripes.

A lot like these red and black stripes. These are fingerless gloves for another friend who is one of my bestest friends in the whole wide world and, conveniently, has expressed the opinion that fingerless gloves bring her much joy. Horray for Anna and her really awesome gloves! (But don't mention it to her. It's not her birthday yet) Another horray for me for completely winging it and ending up with a neat little mitt recipe, and for discovering that I have some yarn in the perfect color combination to make a pair for myself!
This is a scarfy-wrappy thing for my homeroom teacher, Mrs. M. She had done so much for us and taught us so much beyond schooling that I felt she should be honored with a yarny treat(and a true treat it will be. It's sooooo soft, I think I might need one for myself.

A couple of days ago, I commited an act that many of you may find unspeakably horrific. I threw away yarn. Don't lament so, for it dealt the world no great loss. It was some garish purple acrylic I've had since I learned to knit when I was around 8(that was before they made nice acrylic)

I pulled it out of my big orange hangy thing and stood there for a minute racking my brain for a way to put it to good use. I got nothing. I briefly considered putting it back and waiting for inspiration, but I quickly discarded the idea and chucked the sorry excuse for yarn in the trash. (About an hour later, I was reading blogs and it dawned on me that I could use it to make some squares for a charity blanket, but then decided against it on the grounds that I have plenty of other scrap yarn to knit for charity with, all of which would be easier on the eyes(and hands) of the recepient.) Scorn me if you will, I have no regrets.

No comments: