Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Ch-ch-ch-ch-changes

So I got my hair cut today. Really cut. Seriously cut. Big changes. Before:
Y'all have seen my hair before. Reasonably long, right? You wanna see the after?

Really?

Okay.


Real big changes. I love it! I can't wait til tonight when I wash it. It'll be so quick and easy!

Note that my hair is doing that flippy thing naturally: It's actually pretty wavy, but you could hardly tell before because it was so weighted down.

Big announcement in knitting news as well: Thing 1's Christmas doll is finally finished! I finished the doll a while ago, but still had to make it some clothes. I used the original pattern as a guideline and made a dress. Lots of thinking was involved: I did in mostly in the round, which changed my gauge, and the whole thing was seamless so I had to figure out how to knit the sleeves, knit the skirt top-down, then pick up stitches(provisional cast-on) and knit the body(joining in the sleeves with raglan decreases) bottom-up. I also added a placket and buttons on the back to make it easier to put on. This was a major accomplishment in itself because these were probably the only 2 matching buttons in my collection.


Remember that huge pink sock that I said was going to be a felted slipper? Well, it didn't work out so well. It turns out that even after felting, the foot was incredibly long compared to the width. So I whipped up a pair of Seamless Lopi PhD Boots, a free pattern from the internet.

(Before felting, obviously.)
This is a simple triangle shawl for my mom for Christmas. I love the stripes that the yarn is making. I was so tickled when I showed the yarn to my mom and she gushed over the feel and the color(I told her it was for me) You can't see in this picture, but there's a neat little eyelet edging along the side. Every other row, I k2, yo, k to last 2 sts, yo, k2. That's my increase.
This is the same yarn in a different color for a shawl for my grandma(and yes, I do have another ball. I have no delusions of a shawl on US 10 needles with 219 yds of yarn.
This is some yarn for socks for myself. Is that not the coolest blue? I'm in love. It's 45% cotton, 40% superwash wool, and 15% nylon. I've never made socks with a nylon blend yarn, and I'm interested to see how it wears. I've heard that a bit of nylon in sock yarn is like a little dose of superpower. I'm hoping that't true, because I have 2 pairs of handknit socks that I wear at least once a week, and I'm loving them to death(literally. They're wearing down fast.)

So now you're all nice and caught up. I have Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday off for Thanksgiving, so I'll get lots of knitting done and might possibly remember to post something.

No comments: